For many people, the use of cannabidiol (CBD) is still a rather confusing topic and even controversial due to some common misconceptions. That is to say, not everyone knows that CBD is an entirely natural extract and without the psychoactive agent that you might associate with marijuana. But what does this actually mean?
CBD is not only very different to “recreational marijuana” but also an alternative treatment that medical experts support. Further, recent studies suggest CBD products can provide a variety of benefits to our physical and mental wellbeing.
But in order to understand the potential health benefits, it’s important to know a bit more about CBD and the difference between the two main types of cannabinoids.
CBD Oil and the Difference between Cannabidiol and THC
There are more than one hundred cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, with cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) accounting for more than 40% of such extracts.
CBD is very different to THC as it does not bring about the mind-altering effects you might associate with the recreational use of marijuana. In other words, CBD is an extract of the cannabis plant but not psychoactive as it does not contain any THC. This is why CBD does not produce a “high” and is often used to create wellness products that might ease common ailments like anxiety and pain.
And what about CBD oil?
CBD oil is made by combining the CBD extract with a carrier oil such as coconut (MCT) oil. In fact, many beauty salons are creating lotions with CBD oil, while cafe’s sell CBD lattes and spa retreats offer CBD facial treatments. While studies are ongoing and limited at this time, there is reason to believe the use of CBD oil offers many potential benefits that can help improve and alleviate various health issues.
Let’s take a look at some potential benefits associated with the use of CBD:
The Benefits of CBD Oil for Physical and Mental Health
- Anxiety and Depression – Studies show that cbd can potentially reduce depression and alleviate anxiety related to stress. This is because CBD is believed to change how the brain responds to a chemical called serotonin which directly impacts mental health.
- Sleep – CBD can potentially improve sleep and alleviate insomnia by treating symptoms which can cause sleeplessness. Studies are quite extensive in this area and it makes sense that reducing anxiety, stress etc will help when it comes to increasing the possibility of enjoying a decent night of sleep.
- Mood and Relaxation – Early research indicates that CBD can facilitate relaxation by increasing the amount of anandamide (or ‘bliss‘ molecule) in the body. This chemical influences a persons’ sense of wellbeing. CBD boosts anandamide levels to produce a feeling of relaxation. Also, experts believe the positive effects of CBD on serotonin receptors in the brain can enhance a persons mood. Now, that’s not to say that CBD oil can boost serotonin but rather that CBD impacts the way these receptors respond to serotonin.
- Pain – Pre-clinical studies are investigating the use of CBD as a supplement for pain management and relief. This research indicates how CBD is believed to relieve symptoms associated with muscles pain, chronic pain and even arthritis.
- Cancer – While studies are ongoing, the National Cancer Institute recently cited CBD as a possible treatment for alleviating symptoms and side effects for cancer patients. These studies also suggest cbd might help treat and alleviate other serious illnesses.
It’s important to remember that research is ongoing in terms of these benefits and there are still concerns about the use of CBD. However, this research is currently favourable toward the use of cbd oil and as more information is known, it’s likely that more health-related products will start to incorporate the use of cbd oil.
The use of cannabidiol (CBD) is still largely misunderstood and studies indicate the benefits associated with CBD are worth noting. CBD is also a high-potential solution for health products as the extract can be mixed with various gels or creams. These products come in different forms including liquid spays, skin creams and balms (see our balms. A growing trend has been in taking CBD oil orally. (see our cbd oils here)
How you use these products really depends on the reason why CBD is necessary in the first place and it’s best to speak with a doctor in this respect.
Either way, CBD does not produce any mind-altering effects and there is more than enough reason to believe the use of cbd in general is a good thing – and nothing less.