Much has been written about CBD as a sleeping aid. How does CBD help in getting a better night’s sleep. A recent consumer survey report showed that nearly 10% of CBD users use it to aid with their sleep. Can CBD really help you get a better nights sleep?
The effects of sleep deprivation on the body
Everybody knows a good nights sleep is vital if you want to function effectively. Sleep deprivation can not only make you feel physically sluggish but it affects your mental ability too.
Pharmaceutical sedatives have been used for long, but now more than ever people are turning to CBD as a natural remedy to aid in their sleep.
What a disruptive sleep means to us and can CBD help get better sleep?
People who struggle to get a good nights sleep will often suffer from the following problems;
- Cardiovascular disease: disruptive sleep increases the risk of heart attack, high blood pressure, stroke, and arrhythmias.
- Diabetes: getting a good sleep helps people with type 2 diabetes manage their blood sugar, while lack of sleep appears to worsens symptoms.
- Obesity: lack of sleep leads to metabolic changes that encourage obesity, especially in children. Lack of proper sleep was found to increase appetite and food cravings which can result in obesity.
- Liver disease: lack of sleep has been seen to create problems with liver function and show signs of scarring.
- Depression/anxiety: interestingly a lack of proper sleep can create depression/anxiety and vice versa. Breaking the chain can only help improve matters for the better.
- Immune system disruption: getting a good sleep helps the body’s immune system time to repair whatever is damaged. It helps improve natural immunity. Compromised immunity leads to regular illness.
How does CBD work to aid your sleep?
There is no specific research on CBD and sleeping disorders directly. Instead there has been a fair amount of study on CBD in connection with anxiety. Anxiety has been linked to people suffering from a lack of sleep.
Your body has a communication network within your nervous system called the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS regulates many functions of the body and mind, including mood.
CBD interacts with the ECS helping it function optimally to regulate a state of homeostasis (balance) within your body.
CBD helps raise natural levels of the body’s own endocannabinoids. It helps regulate sleep patterns, reduce anxiety and inflammation which may be a cause to disruptive sleep.
It is also believed that CBD interacts with your body’s serotonergic system—the system of serotonin neurotransmitters. This system works to regulate mood, nausea, appetite, bone health and emotions. Again all aiding in achieving a state where sleep can be more attainable.
Unlike alcohol and sedatives, CBD does not depress the central nervous system. This is important in the standpoint of CBD and sleep disorder as this also breaks a vicious circle of dependence.
Myrcene, which is a terpene often contained in high-CBD strain has been known for centuries by herbalists to promote good sleep aid. It’s sedative effects are well established in the animal literature. (see terpene and the entourage effect). Interestingly, hops have high Myrcene levels.
Conclusion to CBD as a sleeping aid.
Research has been conducted on CBD and sleeping disorder whereby it has not conclusively shown that CBD directly aids sleep. However research is still ongoing and our understanding of the complex way in which CBD interacts with the body is under observation.
It has been identified by research that CBD aids the body in healing or treating other conditions within the body that may be the underlying cause of a dysfunctional sleep pattern. In effect CBD can help with getting a better night sleep.
If you wish to try CBD as a sleeping aid, we suggest starting with a low dose and adjust as necessary after noting progress. You should consume full or broad spectrum cbd oil for the entourage effect. Avoid CBD Isolate products if possible as this is only CBD. Always buy good quality CBD oil that shows lab results like our cbd oil products.